The (in)significance of resolution

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
richard stone
Senior MemberPosts: 1,617
Like?
Re: The (in)significance of resolution
In reply to jande9, Apr 16, 2013

Yes, and all of the above, too.

DM has been making this argument for years now, trying to "prove" (for some reason) that the additional resolution of the Foveon sensor is either an illusion or unnecessary, or some other sort of trick.

First of all, of course, different people are sensitive to different things in images, some to color issues, some to jpeg artifacts, some to sharpening halos, and some people want or prefer smooth, soft images.

Second, "proving" something is not as easy as DM wants it to be. It is a version of the proving the "truth" and just as difficult. And this is not just about testing errors.

I have no problem with DM asserting that he likes Bayer images better. But I find it difficult to consider him "winning" the argument he proposes when on the other side we have any number of people (some with more experience than DM, for what that's worth) who really like the DPM cameras and their "resolution."

Third, in my view, resolution is important, but with the Foveon we also have other factors, which is a sort of MF effect with color and detail/texture and gradation, something that really shows up in BW images.

Richard

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow