Like?
Re: About to Buy -- What do you think ?
In reply to Guidenet, Apr 15, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

joejack951 wrote:

Limburger wrote:

Hey guys,

Just an amateur here.

I got a 50 1.8 but absolutely going to upgrade to 85 1.8 (on 7D).

My 2 cents.

I've used 85mm on a crop camera. Indoors, I always found it awkwardly long for anything but a very tight crop, though much of that depends on the size of the room you are in. 105mm on full frame feels like my limit indoors unless I'm going for candids only. Of course, it's all personal preference.

I LOVED the 85mm lens when space permitted though (certainly helped that it was an 85mm f/1.4).

To each their own. I love 85mm inside and out; in the studio or in a park; FX or DX. I have never considered it constraining inside on DX but we all have different styles. I enjoy tight head and shoulders, but even half body, it isn't constraining to me.

In the studio and outside, I sill like 85 even though I feel it's a tad wide sometimes. Now days, I shoot FX only so I might feel it was just right on DX. It's been several years since I've shot DX professionally or even much for fun times.

Outside, the 85 f/1.4G still gets a lot of use, but I migrate depending on the job to longer glass. I love the Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro for outside portraiture on single people, even full body or environmental. For longer glamour shots or company casual executive shots I like the 300 f/2.8 as a great portrait lens. I love the perspective. It's a little harder to control lighting and an assistant comes in handy, but it can be worth it. I've even shot portaits longer, but it's a bit overkill past 300mm.

Here's one of my grandkids at 500mm. I love it.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Very nice picture, foreground and the kid in focus and background doesn't even exist!

If your grandkid sees this some years from now, she will be greatfull you took this one.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow