Before I take the plunge and purchase a Nikon D800e. Any thoughts on the rumored

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 12,120
Like?
Re: Before I take the plunge and purchase a Nikon D800e. Any thoughts on the rumored
In reply to Shotcents, Apr 15, 2013

Shotcents wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

But what is NOT small are the issues I see from the E when shooting video. Some will say it's not a big deal, but if you plan to do any serious video/filmaking with a D800, skip the E version. It creates significantly worse moire and edge artifacts. I've seen it first-hand.

I would like to see this difference. It seems to me that the AA filter in the D800 is not strong enough to have any affect on the down sampled video. I believe aliasing and moiré in video will be identical between the D800 and D800E.

Can you show me side-by-side examples?

I don't have any of my own. I work with a producer who's been shooting a low budget horror film using the D800 and 5DIII. He tried the E version, but got artifacts shooting on water.

Did he shoot the same scene with a D800? Did you see the results?

I recall a youtube video showing the same issue and how a aftermarket filter could ease the issue for the E.

The D800 has aliasing issues as well. I've not seen anything to show that they are less on the D800 than the D800E.

The VAF-D800 Optical Anti-Aliasing Filter is for both the D800 and the D800E. Their page shows an example of D800 video moiré and it being eliminated with their filter.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow