Started Apr 15, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
krane
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
T4i Av mode issue
Apr 15, 2013

I've had a t4i for about a year now, and I'm still pretty inept, but I just started having a problem last week that I'm hoping someone here can help with.

When in aperture priority mode, the camera chooses long exposure times (1/5s) when using a flash (either internal or external) s.t. the shot ends up somewhat overexposed.  This happens regardless of the ISO setting. If I have no flash, the auto exposure is actually *shorter* (1/50s), but at a much higher ISO.

This is a new behavior, I've been using Av, f5.6 with the 18-55 kit + 430EXII for a lot of pictures over the past few months and just noticed this last week (1/3s exposure at ISO400 with external flash makes for a very bright and blurry first birthday picture)

Flash sync in the flash control menu is set to auto - I can change it to 1/200 - 1/60, but honestly this feels like something the camera should handle without me doing that (and I never had to before)

I've been through the menus a few times and looked up a number of the options in the manual, but haven't found anything that helps.

If I go full manual, I can pick the settings I want and the camera behaves how I want, but I'm still not very good at choosing the right settings or changing them on the fly.

Any thoughts?

krane's gear list:krane's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +2 more
ANSWER:
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow