Before I take the plunge and purchase a Nikon D800e. Any thoughts on the rumored

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 4,076Gear list
Like?
Re: Before I take the plunge and purchase a Nikon D800e. Any thoughts on the rumored
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 15, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

Owners of the E will make all kinds of claims, but the dust has settled and most now know that the differences are very small.

I make the claim that there is a very large psychological difference between the D800 and the D800E.

Robin, I agree! The top claim is:

"I have both and there's a big difference in the images."

Sadly no one has produced a single comparison to prove it. All we see is massive crops and the WHOLE of the photos are the same. Bottom line is that for most shooters the D800e is not money well spent, except in that magic land of Oz!

But what is NOT small are the issues I see from the E when shooting video. Some will say it's not a big deal, but if you plan to do any serious video/filmaking with a D800, skip the E version. It creates significantly worse moire and edge artifacts. I've seen it first-hand.

I would like to see this difference. It seems to me that the AA filter in the D800 is not strong enough to have any affect on the down sampled video. I believe aliasing and moiré in video will be identical between the D800 and D800E.

Can you show me side-by-side examples?

I don't have any of my own. I work with a producer who's been shooting a low budget horror film using the D800 and 5DIII. He tried the E version, but got artifacts shooting on water. I recall a youtube video showing the same issue and how a aftermarket filter could ease the issue for the E.

None of it really matters. Spend the money in the manner in which it makes you happiest! But in my viewing of side-by-side still shots, atmospheric conditions would mean more than which version of the D800 you happened to have in hand. My friend shoots fabrics/fashion and even he says he can't tell the files apart most of the time.

Robert

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow