D7100 owners having to INCREASE shutter speeds to avoid softness?

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,008Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 owners having to INCREASE shutter speeds to avoid softness?
In reply to nfpotter, Apr 15, 2013

nfpotter wrote:

The "old" rule for 35mm film (or full frame) was that "most" people could hand-hold a shot at the reciprocal of the focal length in use, and not end up with motion blur due to camera motion.

I would refine this to "visible motions blur" and this depended on what film you were using and how good the optics are. Fast grainy print film you could get away with slower speeds than with slow slide film. I don't see why this isn't also the case with digital.

I'm not saying a shot that wouldn't be visibly blurry with a D7000 would be visibly blurry if shot with a D7100 downsampled or printed to the same size as the D7000 shot.

That said, being able to use higher shutter speeds without the penalty of noise is why the shots with my D7000 are sharper than my olympus dSLRs, more so than the increased pixel count, IMHO of course.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow