D7100 owners having to INCREASE shutter speeds to avoid softness?

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,085Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 owners having to INCREASE shutter speeds to avoid softness?
In reply to nfpotter, Apr 15, 2013

nfpotter wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

mosswings wrote:

Remember, though, that you don't have to have a 24MP sharp image if you're downsizing...noise still goes down.  It's just that you've done a little mechanical averaging during capture.

That's a very good reminder, i personally have to work on that, i tend to move the camera right after i took the shot thinking that the photo went thru, perhaphs i should wait half a second more and let the mirror finish its thing.

No.  If you're shooting at 1/100 or faster, you're not going to move that quickly.  Try it, even with 1/30.  Divide a second into 30 pieces.

The issue is not that the mirror hasn't finished doing its thing, but that your body is doing a bunch of other stuff besides being present with taking the shot.  If you're already heading towards the next shot opportunity as you squeeze the shutter, you haven't quieted your body enough to reliably give you a good capture.  If I might use a rifle analogy, it's the difference between a sharpshooter and a machine gunner.  The sharpshooter goes through a whole zen ritual to calm the body and prep the mind for taking the shot, then just as deliberately stands down after taking the shot.  A machine gunner only has to aim in the general direction and blast.  Most of his rounds miss the target, but enough hit to count.  Wasteful, but effective in wartime.  Photography isn't war, though.

Now as far as stopping subject motion, that's a different issue.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow