About to Buy -- What do you think ?

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
joejack951
Senior MemberPosts: 2,229Gear list
Like?
Re: About to Buy -- What do you think ?
In reply to Guidenet, Apr 15, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

While 50mm on a crop sensor does have the field of view of 75-80 on a full frame camera, it does not have the depth of field charactoristics nor compression that makes 85mm - 105mm so useful.

The DOF argument can be made for any lens on APS-C. That doesn't make APS-C useless as a format for portraits. You add about a stop's worth of DOF shooting APS-C for any given field of view. Not every FF portrait is shot wide open.

Compression effects result from how far away you stand, hence my suggestion of the 10% crop for using 50mm on a Nikon APS-C sensor. Make it a 5% crop if using Canon.

FWIW, most of my photos these days are taken with a D3S. I'm aware of the benefits of using a FF camera and tend to promote them on these forums. After all, an actual 85mm f/1.8 lens on a full frame camera will yield less depth of field, likely be sharper due to its simpler design, and cost less to boot compared to a 50mm f/1.4. However, one needs to be willing to make the investment in a FF camera first and actually appreciate those differences for them to be meaningful.

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow