D7100 owners having to INCREASE shutter speeds to avoid softness?

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,774Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 owners having to INCREASE shutter speeds to avoid softness?
In reply to Stacey_K, Apr 15, 2013

Stacey_K wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

Has anyone noticed or experienced this if you bought D7100 comming from D7000 or with a lower MP camera?  Are new D7100 owners using the shutter speeds the same way as before meaning doubleing the shutter speed as with the D7000, has anything changed?

Also not just with the D7100 but with any 24MP camera in general.  Also have any of you had the need to upgrade lenses to keep up with these newer bodies?

Even with  D7000, to get everything it is capable of requires absolutely perfect technique. Even with medium shutter speeds on a tripod, I can plainly see when I used MLU with remote release vs setting the in camera timer with no MLU. The "rule" of 1/focal length for a shutter speed setting might have worked for 35mm film but no longer applies if you are looking for max resolution. I typically use 2X focal length as the min is possible on my D700. I haven't used a D7100 but I would have to assume that with a higher pixel density this would be even more critical.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

+1.

I've stopped using any shutter speed slower than about 1/200 when using my 18-105 on my D90, a lowly 12MP body, for cryin' out loud, because I realized that that is the bare minimum for stopping slow subject motion across the frame. Things don't start getting really super sharp until I'm closer to 1/300 - 1/400, and if I've got the 70-300 mounted, well, it's 1/1000 time if I can hack it.  As I get older, I find that I have to very consciously SLOW DOWN, let my breath out, suck my elbows into my chest, and SQUEEZE the shutter button, then WAIT until I hear the mirror return.  I've also begun short burst shooting...letting 2 or 3 shots off and picking the best one.  It does work.

Now, a lot of folks will say that you don't need the shot technique of the gods for higher res cameras, and that is only partly true...young guns have finer motor control stability than middle agesters, and working pros are more practiced than hobbyists (sometimes).  One can start proposing this and that mathematigeometric theory for the optimum shutter speed increase, but if we consider the march from the D90 to the D7000 to the D7100, that represents only a 15% and 20% increase in linear resolution respectively, so if you were used to shooting at 1/X, you would need at most a 1/(1.4x) increment in shutter speed to go 2 generations...if you were shooting right at the point where you could notice a blurring at the pixel level.  Anything faster and you wouldn't notice until you passed that detectability threshold.

Remember, though, that you don't have to have a 24MP sharp image if you're downsizing...noise still goes down.  It's just that you've done a little mechanical averaging during capture.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow