Like?
Re: Sony provides so much more! Really?
In reply to joejack951, Apr 15, 2013

joejack951 wrote:

123Mike wrote:

• 10 fps burst rate, no compromises
  • 12 fps burst rate, cropped
  • Faster AF

Why isn't it recommended to shoot sports if this is such a great plus?

Says who? It's *great* for sports! Perhaps people like Fro are lying to you. He's avoiding Sony because he's afraid to upset off his sponsors. Possibly many other "reviewers" are in the same boat. I say the Sony is the BEST for sport shooting.

Then why doesn't anyone see pro photogs at the Olympics or weekly pro sports events using Sony gear? The sidelines are predominantly swarmed by pros using Nikon and Canon...........just sayin'...

If it has a 10fps frame rate and reportedly a great AF system I wonder why DPR says it's not so good for 'serious' sports and action work.

Does Sony have anything to compete with the D4 or 1DX ?

The A57, A65, A77, and A99 all compete with that, yes. And it costs a lot less.

From DPR's review:

"As we saw in the A55, which offered a maximum frame rate of 10fps in the same mode, there are some downsides to this maximum capture rate. The A57 can still autofocus continuously, but in order to be able to do this, aperture is either fixed wide open, or limited to f/3.5 if the lens's maximum aperture allows. You can take full control over aperture in Continuous Advance Priority AE mode, but only if you select AF-A or manual focus. The reason for this limitation is the same reason why you cannot combine AF with manual aperture control in movie mode - at apertures smaller than f/5.6 the AF system receives essentially no light, so cannot function.

Another disadvantage of the SLT system when it comes to fast shooting is that it isn't possible for the A57 to maintain a live view feed in 8, 10 or 12fps capture modes. The viewfinder does not black out when shooting at these high frame rates, but shows a sequence of still frames you've just shot. What this means is that at any given moment, you don't see the current view through the camera's lens, but how it was a fraction of a second ago. This makes little or no difference if you're shooting slow-moving or static subjects, but it makes panning with fast-moving subjects very hard indeed, since you never know quite where they are - only where they were."

If I was a dedicated sports shooter, there's no doubt in my mind that I would not pick the A57 for the reasons outlined above.

Is it from DPR? I believe to have read that as well, panning burstshots are near impossible.

At least this is more or less what DPR concludes as well, the A57 isn't bad camera but it has specs that are a bit iffy imo.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow