About to Buy -- What do you think ?

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
joejack951
Senior MemberPosts: 2,364Gear list
Like?
Re: About to Buy -- What do you think ?
In reply to baloo_buc, Apr 15, 2013

baloo_buc wrote:

I would skip for now 50 mm f/1.4. It is an awkward focal length for crop sensor.

Why do people keep repeating this? On a Canon APS-C 1.6X crop sensor, a 50mm lens gives approximately an 80mm field of view in FF terms. No one calls 85mm lenses (you know, those bread and butter portrait lenses) awkward on full frame. Even on Nikon (1.5X crop), a 50mm lens is only a 10% crop away from an 85mm FF field of view. I think 50mm lenses on APS-C make for fantastic portrait lenses.

I have to believe that those calling them awkward only do so because they imagined using a 50mm lens as their "standard" lens like one might on a FF DSLR. For that purpose, yes, it's a bad focal length. For head and shoulders portraits, it's tough to beat.

On that final note, if you have any interest in macro, the Tamron 60mm f/2 could be an interesting alternative to the 50mm f/1.4. You give up some aperture for macro capability and go a little to the other side of that "magic" portrait focal length.

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow