Did I make a mistake? (Pentax K-5iis vs Nikon D7100)

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Aidan Gibson
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
Re: For portraits, learn lighting
In reply to kenyee, Apr 15, 2013

kenyee wrote

You don't have the lenses for sports...sounds like you never have.  To do sports properly, you'd need at least a 70-200/2.8 and preferably a 300/2.8 w/ TC.

If you shoot portraits, learning lighting is more important than the camera body.  I still use a K20D (ancient compared to your K-5IIs) and it still produces great results because I have full control over lighting.

As for your other question on the D7100, if you really are that bothered, scrape together $150 and do a weekend rental from LensProToGo or BorrowLenses or some other local store to you and try it with whatever lens you think you'd use.  See how you like it.  Then you'll know for sure instead of asking like this.

You had your K-5IIs for a while if the D7100 was announced after you bought it.  You have to factor in the time you had w/ the K-5IIs out taking pictures instead of waiting for the next big thing.  It's like a computer...everything changes every few years and everyone leapfrogs everyone else.  Personally, I'd be ticked off if I bought the D600...the D7100 has a much nicer AF system and doesn't have the dust bomb issue though the D7100 seems to have some sort of sensor blooming issue that's covered in the Nikon forum, so Nikon's crappy QC system is still letting bugs through

Thanks for all the helpful comments!

Since I have seen the studio comparison, I am happy to have bought the K-5 the high iso is as good as some ff. Tried the d7100 in a shop didn't like the feel probably because if have always had Pentax!

thanks!

PS: lighting may be important but the results I get with the K-5 are just so stunning compared to my k-x. Not regretting anything anymore the results are great and now I know that the k-5iis iq is equal if not better, after looking at the comparison tool!

Aidan Gibson's gear list:Aidan Gibson's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow