Before I take the plunge and purchase a Nikon D800e. Any thoughts on the rumored

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,635
Like?
Re: Before I take the plunge and purchase a Nikon D800e. Any thoughts on the rumored
In reply to John4, Apr 15, 2013

John4 wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

What we have seen is that the pixel pitch on DX sensors sometimes predicts the pixel pitch on high MP FX sensors.

I think the odds are good that the D4x will be 54 MP.

It seems 36 Mp FX will resolve about 100 lp/mm.  Many good lenses are better than this only in the center at certain apertures, and many are worse than this off axis at any aperture.

I believe there have been rumors of Nikon coming out with a new line of high-end high res lenses. Sigma seems to be moving towards better optics with the 35mm f/1.4. I suspect that higher res. cameras will be followed by higher res lenses. Another reason why lenses aren't really a lifetime investment.

I'm inclined to think it is pointless to go much beyond 36 Mpx without increasing the format size.  If we have focusing and alignment issues now, what does 54 hold for us?  What about increased demands for steadiness of the camera...

That threshold has already been crossed with the D7100. If its pixel pitch is used on an FX sensor you get about 54 MP.

What about the cost, weight, and complexity (i.e. mfr. QA) of lenses manufactured to this higher need?

Welcome to the world of $3,000, $4,000, and $5,000 lenses. The weight may not need to increase, just the precision of the optics. Perhaps we will see more f/4 lenses as they are easier to make.

How big would people be printing to see this improvement - and is there a market for such prints?

I believe the difference would show up in A1 or 24x36" prints. I also believe there is a market for prints that size and larger among landscape shooters.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow