The (in)significance of resolution

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,708Gear list
Like?
Re: You haven't increased the resolution....
In reply to DMillier, Apr 15, 2013

DMillier wrote:

The eye (and only a young perfect eye) can separate a maximum of 300 lines per inch at a viewing distance of about a foot only if they are alternating 100% black and white.  Actually, most people would see 300 dots per inch as solid grey, most of us have somewhat worse eyesight.  The eye cannot see this level of resolution if the dots are grey. And if they are colour dots even less.  I very much doubt a laser printer in putting down pure black dots on a pure white substrate!  The resolution of an inkjet printer on matte paper (I use a R2400 on Permajet Matte plus) is rather less.

With respect to your claim I have not increased resolution, I think you are mis-thinking something.  If I shoot  a single frame, then zoom in and shoot a 3 frame composite covering the same field of view, I'm getting 3x the pixel count.  That's effectively what I did.  Shot a 16MP single frame with a moderate wide angle, then swapped out the lens for a telephoto shift lens and stitched 3 frames to (roughly) match the field of view of the reference frame but with 3x the pixels.

-- hide signature --

Hi David,

How can you "roughly match" the frame with three images? If you are using a telephoto then you must stitch "both" horizontal "and" vertical images to match the frame. The way I see it is that it would take a "minimum" of four frames. What you describe has no "overlap" in your own words. If that is so it can only be "either" a horizontal "or" a vertical stitch. Are you saying that the FOV of the medium format lens "matches" either the vertical or horizontal FOV of your wide angle lens? Otherwise why bother? Just shoot a single frame with your moderate wide angle, put a telephoto lens on the camera and shoot overlapping horizontal and vertical frames and stitch.

To see any increase in resolution the way you describe what you did it would be necessary to do a 100% crop from the wide angle original image and compare it to the identical frame portion from the telephoto.

Best regards,

Lin

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow