HS50EXR - SL1000 - Any other superzoom - Which one to buy ??

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Questions thread
2raj
Senior MemberPosts: 2,135Gear list
Like?
Re: Paul...
In reply to paulsinclair73, Apr 15, 2013

paulsinclair73 wrote:

2raj wrote:

paulsinclair73 wrote:

2raj wrote:

You just confirmed what I was afraid of

HS50 is faster, with more zoom, but only marginally better than the HS10 in terms of IQ.

So, was it worth the price of the upgrade?

Were you able to sell the HS10? I haven't had much luck.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Just a Pixelpusher, currently experimenting with Fuji HS10 and Panasonic LX5

Hi,

Sold the HS10 on ebay for £100 - this will only go down as more and more of them come on the market due to upgrading. Bought the HS50 from Argos for £419 - so £319 to upgrade to the 50.

I'm happy with the upgrade - yes. I loved the feel of the HS10 but the shot time was really starting to grate - particularly when travelling and you want / need to grab shots quickly. I used to have a couple of film SLR's and got sick of carrying around lenses so for me any kind of body and lens system is a no-no, even though the image quality will be better, but then again for what I use the images for the HS10 / 50 produces decent shots.

The deciding point was the manual zoom. I loved this on the 10 and there aren't that many options available - so went I went for the 50 on the basis that I was basically upgrading shot time and zoom. The EXR system is something to get used to, and it seems that this camera does need a little tweaking with the settings to get what you want out of it, although I suspect that it's an issue of image stabilistation, noise reduction and sharpening that's causing a lot of these quite grim shots one can find on Flickr (for example).

I spent a fair bit of time doing the research and it got to the point that I though I may as well just get it, and rather than spend the time waiting to see what other people are producing with it I can get to know it first hand.

There are quite a few people on this forum who can provide you with all manner of technical information, but for me (and from a purely real world usage visual perspective) all of the superzooms will produce relatively comparable images but I prefer the way the HS50 feels to use.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for the response. I'm with you on the manual zoom--that's one of the reasons I'm in the Fuji camp, that and the colors the Fuji produces.

From a technical point, better focussing, processing speed and IQ are the key items.

Appreciate your input.

Best regards,

raj...

-- hide signature --

Raj,

You've just reminded me of a couple of other nice features the 50 has over the 10. The EVF is very clear, the focusing is very quick (though too close and too much zoom it can struggle almost as much as the 10) and when using the manual focus ring the software really pushes up the contrast on sharp edges so that you can tell exactly what's in focus (as it's a previewing mechanism the output doesn't display these contrast lines), very useful when shooting short dof and you want an eye rather than a nose in focus (as I discovered with my 11month old) - though small children and manual focus are not a recommended combination

cheers

paul

Those are good updates as well. Focusing is my #1 gripe with the HS10, glad the 50 is much improved, and edge-sharpened previews are a neat feature since with the HS10 I could rarely tell whether it was focussing where it should, until after the shot was taken. I have tons of pics where it looked fine in camera, but upon viewing on the computer, it showed missed focus.

Best regards,

raj...

-- hide signature --

2raj's gear list:2raj's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Fujifilm FinePix HS10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow