D7100 substantially better AF than D7000??

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,837
Like?
Re: D7100 substantially better AF than D7000??
In reply to jonikon, Apr 15, 2013

Yea, you raise the good question. For a while, before I just said the hell with it as I really just never cared for this body in many ways, I started to do some tests with the D7100 AF (I test for a living), and I found that where it really struggled was low light combined with incandescent light source. The more the light source trended towards daylight, even at moderately lower levels, the better things were. I can't remember details, but I remember running 20 shots in a row, defocusing the lens and using center point AF-S focus to achieve focus in various light sources and tracking how many times I missed focus and how many times I got it. And this was with apertures beyond wide open and with lenses that were reliable - I wasn't giving it something complicated like a 24/1.4G, which is a known trouble job with focus. Results were pretty poor (like missing 16 out of 20 shots or something IIRC) until the light levels got higher and the color temp got closer to daylight. Outdoors the AF module was actually pretty nice. 3000k modelling lights at a moderate level, not so much. Part variability? Don't know. I was pretty thorough in my tests and it matched what my colleagues were experiencing with studio work as well. No wonder we all ditched the camera. Perhaps there were different batchs of AF module or something. Strange.

I've shot a D600 but only outdoors. It's AF system seems improved over the 7000, but I've never run tests in lower light to see if it's any better there.

-m

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SameNew
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow