X Rite Color Passport and DPMx?

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Joseph S Wisniewski
Forum ProPosts: 33,986Gear list
Like?
the rationale for a focus target...
In reply to PicOne, Apr 15, 2013

PicOne wrote:

I've had the credit card fan-out Whi-Bal cards for a half-dozen years or so..  Work fine for what they are; however, I can't see the rationale for a focus target being added to them..  I actually generally defocus from a gray card for WB readings.   Not sure this matters?

Not at all. White balancing reads an average of a bunch of pixels, so it does the blurring for you.

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'

There's the rationale for adding a focus target: you can kill two birds with one stone: use the card as a focus aide in a difficult focus situation (you would be surprised how many "copy" photography situations completely confuse both autofocus systems and common manual focus methods).

So we see focus targets appearing up on white balance cards, pop-up reflectors, you name it. Anything that increases utility without increasing cost or decreasing performance is a win.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.
Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.
Ciao! Joseph
www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow