Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,213Gear list
Like?
Re: Comparison at high ISO (6400)
In reply to TrojMacReady, Apr 15, 2013

TrojMacReady wrote:

123Mike wrote:

The A58 view underwent scaling down it seems, and that means pixels went through a process, where there was opportunity for noise reduction and enhancing.

What are you talking about? Of course I didn't add NR or did any " enhancing". I didn't even resharpen after scaling.  And if I had upscaled the A57 the relative difference would have been similar.

The viewing software scaled down the image you silly. That means it went through whatever algorithms it has to do a good job. I have an idea that might address this, but it may seem strange... Take the image, load it in a photo editing program like Photoshop (something descent, not Microsoft paint or something stupid like that). Make the image 2.5 times larger. 2.5 as wide I mean. Save that image, high quality possible. Heck, save as PNG. Then load that into the viewing software you were using. Show the A58 as you did before, where it got to scale down the image to make it visually the same scale as an A57 output. Then do the same to the upscaled A57 shot. Have it show it scaled down as if it were the original size. Now it underwent the same algorithms. I bet it comes out sharper. But I could be wrong.

When you pan around, one can easily cherry pick bits where the A57 looks better as well.

Only the far left of the A58 shows a focus or lens (curvature ?) issue with a sudden drop off in sharpness. The rest is consistent with the crops posted.

So, when the A57 is sharper it is because of the lens/focus, and when the A58 is sharper it is because the A58 is better? That's cherry picking on your part! The test is flawed is what! Take the measurement dial on the right side. The A58 resolves more detail. But how do we know that the A57 was focused correctly? The A58 wasn't focused correctly on the left side. The test is highly flawed when pixel peeping like this, I mean, come on! You can't just cherry pick what you like to see! We need something better! I find the DP tests much better than the IR tests. The IR test are OLD, they must have grown tired of it or something. They massively screwed up on the A57 and A58 ones for sure! Plus they can't even be bothered to test all other pictures they usually do, like the house, the wax models, etc. As if the Sonys aren't important.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
A58?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow