Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Picture Lady
Regular MemberPosts: 157
Like?
iPhoto dysfunctional - need advice, please
Apr 15, 2013

When I open iPhoto, it sometimes takes 30 seconds or more for the spinning rainbow to stop. It used to operate smoothly and quickly, now I dread having to open or use it.  I have about 23,000 photos, but I do keep the (iPhoto) trash emptied. I use Pixelmator, but have removed photos with more than minor editing.

I am running Mac OS X 10.8.3 (12D78); Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3; Startup Disk Macintosh HD; Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB. (None of which I understand, but thought it might be helpful) I do updates as soon as notified by automatic updater.

The Apple guy at Costco said I definitely need more RAM.  My son, a former manager at an Apple store says I do not. He ran a systems check which showed I have a corrupted kernal. He didn't think that was the cause of the iPhoto problem (and might not cause any problem for years), but he had no answer for what was, other than the fact that I have too many photos in there. What good is a photo program if you have to remove photos to make it work?

Is there an alternative program for storing and organizing my photos?  I've never liked iPhoto, anyway (possibly because I've never understood how to use it).  When I had a pc, I kept my photos in alphabetized folders and subfolders, a simple sytem which was easy to use. It takes me forever to find things in iPhoto (I refuse to go back and tag every single photo like my son says).

I also need something to identify duplicates in small batches or folders.  I downloaded Duplicate Annihilator and it took off running going through every file on the hard drive, the Time Machine and the external hard drive.  It kept going for hours and hours until I finally stopped and removed it, as I had no idea what to do with the volumes of lists it was producing.

Please be patient and forgive me if this question is in the wrong place or has been covered. I did several searches and found nothing relevant.  However, I am getting older and sometimes feel like I have a spinning rainbow in my brain, so I am probably as dysfunctional as the iPhoto!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow