sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,205
Like?
Re: Go to DxOMark
In reply to MatsP, Apr 15, 2013

MatsP wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

raptureall wrote:

I've done a lot of research concerning Micro 4/3.  I thought of getting the Panasonic GH3, but am not satisfied with the quality of photo against say the new Nikon d7100.  So does a DSLR produce better quality photo's, or have I not seen good photo's from a Micro 4/3?  I really like the Micro 4/3, but my main interest is in the quality of the photo.  Thanks for your help!

I recommend using the sensor ratings at DxOMark to evaluate image sensor qualities.

And if you do that, you'll see the following.

Best m4/3: Olympus  E-PL5, score 72 (OMD and GH3 have 71)

Best APS:   Nikon D5200, score 83

Best Canon APS: 7D, 60D, score 66

Which indicates that the best APS sensors are better than the best m4/3 sensors. But the best m4/3 are better than the best APS from a very big manufacturer as Canon.

I know many people who think 7D is an excellent camera and I think they are right. Still the best m4/3 have a potential to give a little better IQ. In normal use you won't see any differences but if you pixelpeep there is an obvious difference.

As the best m4/3 cameras obviously share sensor technology with the best APS cameras it's mainly the bigger size of the sensor that makes the difference.

Canon is lagging behind a little in sensor development, but they will surely soon keep up to the highest standards and then all current APS will be better than all current m4/3. But the differences are so small that they hardly mean anything in practical use. You can choose m4/3 or APS and feel safe that the IQ differences are too small to take notice about.

The important differences are OVF - EVF, size and weight (especially lenses) and the ability of focus tracking. Not much more.

To achieve a significant IQ increase from m4/3, you have to go FF, not APS. And even that can be put under discussion, as can be seen in various threads here.

Thank you for expounding on my answer, I was expecting more criticism. But I think this does answer the question the OP was asking.

Of course, you can take really lousy photos with very expensive cameras, and I could point to  many posts on the m43 forum to demonstrate that, and there are some very engaging photos on Instagram taken with iPhones.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow