Most Compact 1.4 Lenses (with Adapter Included)?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ottonis
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?
Re: Most Compact 1.4 Lenses (with Adapter Included)?
In reply to Louno, Apr 15, 2013

Louno wrote:

Is there something around 50mm that has decent quality wide open and is very compact ?
I'm mostly interested in legacy lenses because they are much cheaper, but i'm curious about more modern lenses too.

As several people have already mentioned: the Cosina Voigtlander Nokton Classic 40mm f/1.4 is a very compact compact, high-Quality MF lens to be attached to the NEX.

I have one and I am loving it. If you know how to work around its peculiarities / quirks, it is a just  a wonderfully crafted Piece of excellent glass that complements and suits the Nex very well.

In contrast to the dreamy bokeh of the aformentioned PEN 40 mm 1.4 lens, the bokeh of the CV Nokton 40mm can be a bit busy. However, experience shows that this may occur only when you have sharp light sources or very high contrasts in the background.  As long as you manage to keep your background free of harsh light sources and of lower contrast / lower brightness compared with the foreground, you will be rewarded with phenomenal, dreamy-creamy bokeh.

One other quirk to be aware of is that the MF ring is quite hard to turn compared with other MF lenses, which makes it slightly more cumbersome to quickly adjust focus. Finally, you should definitely get that helicoid M-Mount-to-Nex adapter in order to allow for better minimum focusing distance.

So, if one learns to work around these little  quirks, the CV Nokton 40mm is a wonderful little lens that allows for taking gorgeous pictures while keeping the camera-lens combo slick and pocketable. Its colors and rendering are just beautiful in my book.

One more thing: CV is still producing the Nokton Classic 40mm f/1.4, so People who want a new lens can still get it. Not sure about many of the other options mentioned in this thread that may be available only through ebay.

-- hide signature --

www.flicker.com/davidsphotoblog777

ottonis's gear list:ottonis's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow