FZ200 at the Farm Shop - 4 pics - and settings (Oh no, not settings . . . )

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mikedigi
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,433Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ200 at the Farm Shop - 4 pics - and settings (Oh no, not settings . . . )
In reply to SirLataxe, Apr 15, 2013

SirLataxe wrote:

Sir Digit,

Still at the knob-twiddlin' I see. 

Sir Latex, it's a relief to get a further Epistle From Middle Earth - we were starting to wonder whether Something Had Happened To You.

I would be grateful if one of you jpeg-mad lads would answer me this question (which I keep asking but never get an answer to):

Are you looking for "the single & best" set of FZ200 settings for NR, sharpness et al; or are you trying to find different permutations of these controls to suit different photographic subjects & scenarios?

My impression is that most seem to be seeking the "single-best" collection of settings for all occassions. This seems to be connected to that strange meme "I don't want to do any post processing" (or any pre-processing either, it seems - apart from a one-time setting of the camera controls in stone for all future photos).

However, I notice that Mr Ronomy acually varies his camera settings to suit different situations!  I think this is the first time I've read of someone doing this.

Memory gets shorter as one gets older, and you are now older than the last time you wrote to us about this.  A few weeks ago, I was talking (to you as well) about adjusting JPEG settings to different situations.

But this camera's JPEG engiine is as Queer As A Clockwork Orange (but kind of likeable, if you have a strong constitution), and I have a series of pics of a motorbike in drab light at 400 ISO where the difference between -2 Sharpness and 0 Sharpness can be measured, slightly, in noise but hardly at all in Sharpness, and one has to view it at 50%-100% to notice much difference at all, and how many people want to go to 60-100%?

So there is some latitude available in settling on a simpler settings regime.

If one is determined to be a jpeg-fellah, this seems a more resonable approach.  After all, what did Mr Panasonic put those camera-jpeg controls there for, eh, eh?

Now, I realise all this blether of mine will cause you to roll up your eyes to heaven or even put your fingers in your ears and go, "Lah lah lah". But I feel compelled to tell you (once more) that there is no single collection of camera settings (or RAW development settings) that will suit all photographic situations and all photographic subjects......  Well, unless you always take the same sort of pics in the same sort of light (like that passport photo booth).

If I were a rude-boy, which I yam, I would ask you why you are being so paradoxically lazy (can't be bothered to post or even pre-process) whilst spending enormous amounts of effort trying to find camera jpeg engine control setting nirvana?

I am not.  I have formed the Pixel Peepers Anonymous Therapy Group (Chairman: Ronomy).

I do like the one set of settings I have mentioned in this thread . . . except, maybe, switching iRes off where surface detail is more important than edge sharpness, switching to Vivid when everything looks boring, or in other words, enjoying myself and not worrying about it too much.

I may one day ruin a JPEG and have no RAW file as a back-up, which I shall just have To Bear With Such Fortitude As I Can Muster.  But it's not The Black Death, and in the meantime I am greatly enjoying using the camera for what it was designed for, namely producing photos and not Do-It-Yourself Kits.

You mention motor cars below:  when you buy one, does it take you long to assemble it?

Perhaps this offer will be of interest to you:

If you pay me a fine fee plus expenses, I will go about taking your photos for you inclusive of all the necessary PPing to make them nice.  It will be a good & lucrative hobby for me and you could find a new machine to obsess with.  For example, there may be a motorcar that goes everywhere you want with a single setting for accelerator depression and steering wheel orientation!

I've got one already, I really ought to change it.

Re your offer, I don't remember anyone making me such a offer on the Forum before, although many members may have thought about it.

Unfortunately I am not in a financial position to assist your career in this way, and I regret that I am as unlikely to take up your kind offer as I am to pay for this free trial version of Silkypix Pro 5.

SirLataxe, wondering if he could make all his cabinets with just one axe. (No, he couldn't).

St Michael, who has the patience of a saint.

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow