FZ200 at the Farm Shop - 4 pics - and settings (Oh no, not settings . . . )

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
SirLataxe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,466
Like?
Re: FZ200 at the Farm Shop - 4 pics - and settings (Oh no, not settings . . . )
In reply to Mikedigi, Apr 15, 2013

Mikedigi wrote:

I wrote:

No PP, iRes On, Standard photo style, Co and Sa 0, Sh -1, Nr -2, AWB 3 clicks left.

I quite like these settings, but when surface detail (interesting stonework, etc) is more important than edge sharpness, I might use the same settings with iRes Off.

I am staying with JPEGs and am not about to use RAW, it's just not me, I guess.  I'm letting the Silkypix Pro 5 free trial expire.

Hey, I am elated that there are still 5 people on the Planet who a) have not thrown the FZ200 on the skip and b) will still hit a keyboard to talk about settings.

Maybe the FZ200 will be remembered mainly for the Holy Grail Quest it inspired - the Secret Settings, as elusive as the Loch Ness Monster, the Da Vinci Code, the Shroud of Turin.

Mike

Sir Digit,

Still at the knob-twiddlin' I see. 

I would be grateful if one of you jpeg-mad lads would answer me this question (which I keep asking but never get an answer to):

Are you looking for "the single & best" set of FZ200 settings for NR, sharpness et al; or are you trying to find different permutations of these controls to suit different photographic subjects & scenarios?

My impression is that most seem to be seeking the "single-best" collection of settings for all occassions. This seems to be connected to that strange meme "I don't want to do any post processing" (or any pre-processing either, it seems - apart from a one-time setting of the camera controls in stone for all future photos).

However, I notice that Mr Ronomy acually varies his camera settings to suit different situations!  I think this is the first time I've read of someone doing this.  If one is determined to be a jpeg-fellah, this seems a more resonable approach.  After all, what did Mr Panasonic put those camera-jpeg controls there for, eh, eh?

Now, I realise all this blether of mine will cause you to roll up your eyes to heaven or even put your fingers in your ears and go, "Lah lah lah". But I feel compelled to tell you (once more) that there is no single collection of camera settings (or RAW development settings) that will suit all photographic situations and all photographic subjects......  Well, unless you always take the same sort of pics in the same sort of light (like that passport photo booth).

If I were a rude-boy, which I yam, I would ask you why you are being so paradoxically lazy (can't be bothered to post or even pre-process) whilst spending enormous amounts of effort trying to find camera jpeg engine control setting nirvana?

Perhaps this offer will be of interest to you:

If you pay me a fine fee plus expenses, I will go about taking your photos for you inclusive of all the necessary PPing to make them nice.  It will be a good & lucrative hobby for me and you could find a new machine to obsess with.  For example, there may be a motorcar that goes everywhere you want with a single setting for accelerator depression and steering wheel orientation!

SirLataxe, wondering if he could make all his cabinets with just one axe. (No, he couldn't).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow