D7100 substantially better AF than D7000??

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,682Gear list
Like?
Shuffly nikons
In reply to Gene Goodman, Apr 15, 2013

Nikon sample variation seems varied, I`ve had shuffly D80s (where each focus attempt produces a different focus even in good light on an easy target  espeically at wide angle) , shuffly D200s and amazingly a shuffly D2X !! , a collegue had a slightly shuffly D700 and another a D90 so bad you`d swear it was made by Pentax !! (I mean that, it was THAT bad) . Both D7000 and D7100 it would seem have sample variation - there are as many reports here now of bad D7100s as there were D7000s in its early days.

In nikon, the D300, D3 and D2X seem to be the most stable of AF systems (the 11 point / 1 cross sensor as used in the D200/80/90/3200/5000 series the worst) and my D7000 is as stable as any of those once the lens has been setup in the Micro AF tuning .. even with good non-shuffly samples , one weird thing I`ve found across canon and nikon is that APS-C sensor cameras which have Micro tunable AF seem to actually need it whereas ones without (if they`re not faulty) seem to get away without it well ..

Another thing to note is lens behaviour - some of the new AFS-G primes seem to suffer focus shift (they rear focus as you stop them down) as have other lenses in the past and the 50 F1.8G for instance front focusses at infinity as well as that (so don`t go setting up the AF at F1.8 by shooting houses across the road as it`ll rear focus across a room) . the old screw drive 50s behaved normally ----- err but were pretty crap wideopen - it` s a compromise. Learn ya lenses before blaming the camera

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SameNew
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow