Feedback requested. Warning: pictures of kids.

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
JosephScha
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,210Gear list
Like?
Re: Warning: photographer was lazy......
In reply to tedolf, Apr 15, 2013

Re:

No. 1:   Feet are chopped off and out of focus.

Chopped off: true, could have included them but I didn't mind.  OOF: Also true but of COURSE they were.  They are much closer to the camera.  I'd say the sharp focus on the faces and OOF on feet in front and background behind draws your attention to the faces.  Is that so bad?

No. 2:   Table, chair are chopped off-no appearent effort at composition of drawings on wall.

OK, have to agree.

No. 3:   Child in back is out of focus.

Again, yes, and what do you want?  F/11 shots at some stratospheric ISO?  Personally I bought a 25mm f/1.4 to take indoor shots at reasonable ISO, and if you use it anywhere near wide open the child in back would be OOF.  So ... please give the OP and me some real advice, not just critique; what would you do to get the both in focus?  Manually focus between them and stop down sufficiently?  That would work, but I doubt there was time to do that.

No. 4:   Wings are cut off and feet are out of focus.

OK, wings are cut off.  More to the point, top of head is cut off.  I don't miss the wing tips, the focus is the child.  I actually think this is a very good picture because of the facial expression it captures, and the costume.  And, for the third time, yes the feet are out of focus, but so what?  In fact, I think that gives the appropriate feeling of depth.  What would you do?

No. 5:   Adult is chopped in half.

Hmm...  Yes.  Maybe that is how small children view adults!  I've seen drawn cartoons that represent adults that way.  OTOH, maybe this picture should be cropped to exclude the chopped in half adult.

No. 6:  Now this one could be a good photo if you would frame it to eliminate the power lines.

OK, true.  Removing them in post is a pain.

I guess in summary: I wouldn't criticize feet OOF or clipped off pieces that are not what the picture meant to focus on (ie, wing tips).  And if you are going to criticize shallow DOF, please tell us what you would have done. (not focus stacking, please).

-- hide signature --

js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow