Watt/seconds for Infinite white

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,817Gear list
Like?
Re: Watt/seconds for Infinite white
In reply to ConanLloyd, Apr 15, 2013

ConanLloyd wrote:

I read your post and respect it.  Unfortunately, i have to drop a coupe hundred on a cheap set as a "proof of concept" for the boss. Once I show that i can make the prints and get some folk to purchase them, then she will be more amenable to me dropping $600-$1000 on a quality set up.  It's the same reason I have cheap radio triggers instead of pocket wizards.

I did, however, learn from your post and have used it to plan my studio roadmap. So I thank you heartily for the advice, please keep it coming.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Conan D. Lloyd
http://conanlloydphotography.com/

Zack Arias is a very highly regarded professional photographer who started out about 13-15 years ago with a single AlienBee B1600 and a 60" umbrella.  You can do the same thing.

The only thing you must be aware of is that with a single light you can't shoot seamless white.  A white background will go gray, but gray makes a nice background for portraits.

zarias.com :: The blog of editorial photographer Zack Arias

Zack Arias - One Light Workshop • Photography By Zack Arias

I would recommend starting with a B800 or a Flashpoint DG600 unless you will be shooting outdoors.  These lights are powerful enough that you can shoot at f/5.6 to f/8 with that 60" umbrella by using ISO 200-400, which is perfectly acceptable with todays DSLRs.

Here is everything you need from Adorama to  get started.

Adorama - Flashpoint DG600 300 w/s Monolight, Blue FP600DG

Adorama - Flashpoint 9.5' Lightstand, 5/8" Top Stud with 1/4-20 Thread L3050A

Adorama - Universal Swivel Holder - Umbrella Bracket 781404

Adorama - 60in Interior Umbrella, Removable Cover, White U60BC

Adorama - Seamless Background Paper, White #28 13452

You can find everything you need to get started with, except the paper, from Paul C. Buff if you chose to buy the AlienBee.

Paul C. Buff

Leave the paper in the box and place it on the floor at the base of a wall.  Pull the paper up and tape it to the wall with blue painter's masking tape.  Remove the tape, roll the paper back up, and store the roll on end between uses.

You are better off with one quality light that you can build a kit from than throwing away money buying cheap low quality lights that wind up in the trash.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow