D800e Red Oversaturation

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,484Gear list
Like?
Re: D800e Red Oversaturation
In reply to Randy Redford, Apr 15, 2013

Randy Redford wrote:

I just printed my first image with the D800e -- shot raw and processed through ACR and PS (latest versions) and the reds are all way oversaturated to the point of almost being blown.

Have any of you had this issue?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I am trying to decide between this and a Fuji x-e1 for an upcoming trip to India.

Thanks.

Randy

All I can say is "yes".  In all my years of owning Nikon DSLRs, going back to the D100, I have always had the most difficulty with the red channel.  I am not saying this is a fault of Nikon.  I don't know.  All I do know is that you have to be very conscious of the red channel because that is the one that will tend to blow out first.

Is it any worse than Canon or Sony?  Don't know.  The only thing you can really do is expose for the red channel and handle correction in post.  The good news is that the D800 has a lot of DR and you can bring up the shadows a ton with very small degradation in quality.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow