Macro Focus Stacking

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Duncan C
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,563
Like?
Re: Macro Focus Stacking
In reply to Duncan C, Apr 15, 2013

I've been experiementing more with focus stacking. I still don't have it down completely. The images in my latest series were a tad over-exposed. I'm not sure why; I measured the exposure quite carefully before I started the stack, but it seemed to wander into over-exposure in the middle of the series. I guess I need to leave more "head room" than I did.

There is also an annoying glow around the bug that almost looks like over-exposure blooming, but I'm pretty sure is an artifact of my less than expert focus stacking technique. I don't see blooming in the individual images.

I'm using a free trial version of Helicon Focus (set to pyramid 1, 2 for those that use the program.)

I shot with a Nikon D600 and Tamron 90 mm f/2.8 macro.

I used Nikon's Camera Control Pro 2 control software, and shot with the D600 connected to my MacBook with USB. I used the focus control feature of Camera Control Pro 2 to move the focus in very small steps of less than a millimeter.

The shots were lit with an on-camera flash shot through a pop-up diffuser. Believe it or not, that light source is the best macro lighting I've found, and I've used tons of different setups.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow