Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,512
Like?
Re: Mirrorless- Continuing to Under Perform
In reply to Bart Hickman, Apr 15, 2013

Bart Hickman wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

The 55-210 obviously isn't suffering from the short flange distance either (if anything, it's sharpest at 55mm where the rear element is closest to the sensor.)

It is suffering from it.

This is Sony, check the border.

http://www.photozone.de/images/8Reviews/lenses/sony_55210_4563_nex/mtf.png

This is canon 55-250, half the price, longer reach, 1/3 a stop faster, and exactly the same physical size.

http://www.photozone.de/images/8Reviews/lenses/canon_55250_456is_50d/mtf.gif

See how bad sony is in the border compared to the cheap canon?

I don't think it's because of the flange distance.  I have the 55-210--the rear element does not reach the rear of the lens--it's actually recessed even at 55mm.  The rear element is also nearly the same size as the sensor which is also not the case with DSLR lenses--the rear element is usually small circle.

that maybe so but how do you know it is not closer to the sensor than canon 55-250 ?

I know the comparable DSLR lenses not only go all the way to the rear, but they stick out slightly.

that is because the mount is deeper to begin with.

At 210mm, the rear element is way back--a couple inches from the sensor at least.

Are you sure ?

As for the photozone results, they are normalized.  So if the sensor is limiting the resolution in the center (but not at the edges), it will appear to make a lens more uniform across the frame.

what you mean? PZ shows centre, border and extreme border figures.

For all we know, if you put that Canon lens on a 24M sensor, it'll only get sharper in the center (and I would expect that the center will improve more.).

I will improve both centre and edge.

The Sony lenses aren't great, but I can't see how you can make any conclusion it has anything to do with flange distance.

I dont see why not. their flange back distance is very short, and none of their lenses perform well in the corners, you put 2 and 2 together...

Are Fuji X-mount lenses known for terrible edge IQ?  The X-mount also has a very short flange distance.  That new 18-55 large aperture kit seems to perform impressively well.

Correct. So are Leica M and RX1. I suspect they put a lot more energy into designing better microlenses and the lenses to mitigate the effect of the minimal flange back distance (and charge a premium accordingly, which is why both remain a niche). Sony have not been doing its homework as much.

BTW, I think part of what makes that Canon cheap is it does not come with a hood and it has a rotating front element (which is unusually primitive behavior these days.)

Both true. Being half the price is just part of the bonus (though can sony justify twice the price just for a hood and non-rotating front for a Telephoto zoom?). it got has better IQ and more range.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YeahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow