Canon vixia G20 - 60i has fastest focus?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 2,232Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon vixia G20 - 60i has fastest focus?
In reply to polarizer, Apr 15, 2013

polarizer wrote:

thank you

i am tempted to wait for the G30 and pay extra $600. Features i like:

- 60p

- 20x lens

- 5 axis stabilization

- bigger battery

- capacitive touch screen

- higher res viewfinder with tilt

- hybrid focus with phase detect - ( i can't tell if this is new vs G20/10)

Regarding the new hybrid focus feature, yes that is yet another new feature.  The G30 has new features galore, and fortunately they are all pretty much useful and desirable things.

I can tell you that the Instant Focus feature on the current Canon camcorders is excellent, and works very well.  But keep in mind that the current camcorders only have a 10x zoom range.   The G30 is going to have double that: a 20x range.  It is far more challenging to make a fast and accurate autofocus system work well on a lens with such a dramatically greater zoom range.  So I would expect Canon to have to improve their autofocus system some, just to be able to support such a longer zoom range.

Other options less expensive than the Canon HF G30 would be the upcoming Panasonic  HC-X920, which is due to be in stores next month:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/910265-REG/panasonic_hc_x920k_hc_x920_3mos_ultrafine_full.html

or a Sony HDR-PJ710V for the same price of the HC-X920 of roughly $1,000.  It takes really nice  video too:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838312-REG/Sony_HDR_PJ710V_HDR_PJ710V_High_Definition_Handycam.html

Personally, though, I have found the ergonomics, controls, and menus of the Canon HF G series to be superior to what the competing camcorders from Sony and Panasonic offer.  I give Canon an edge in ease of use.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow