Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
MiraShootsNikon
Contributing MemberPosts: 548
Like?
Mahmoud Mousef, Performance Artist
In reply to olliess, Apr 15, 2013

olliess wrote:

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

So....what do you like about shooting film, specifically?

As far as I can tell from the comments here the main benefits are:

[...]

And despite these meagre advantages or 'differences', I'd still I'd run for the hills if I had to give up my digital camera...You can use both, by my question is still: WHY?

You just listed a bunch of reasons why other people shoot film, dismissed them as "meagre," then asked the same question again.

Seems like a waste of everyone's time. Go take some pictures or somethin'.

I've now seen enough of them to realize that these threads progress as if they're scripted.

1. There's the OP and his loaded question.  If you've decided to ask about film on the "Digital Photography Review" form by wondering if it's "still worth it," you've also already decided it isn't.
  2. On cue, people who've ditched film for digital roll in with self-congratulatory responses desperately seeking validation for the choice.  It's a direct comparison measured in abstractions, they shout.  MTF, line-width-per-height, and print size anecdotes are trotted back and forth.  Wildly specific experiences with workflow, cost, or equipment get posited as universal, self-evident truth.  Meanwhile, no one ever uses example photographs to demonstrate what they're talking about.
  3. Also on cue: some people like me, who do still actively shoot film alongside their digital work, chime in.  Perhaps it's a misconception to think of digital and film as antagonistic methods; perhaps the film workflow and costs don't have to be as [x] portrayed them; perhaps the clients who like the result or the experience of working with a film-shooting pro aren't complete philistines.
  4. Mahmoud can't let any of the malarky in (3) stand, so there's going to be some straining rhetoric pushing that dissent back.  Because as the folks who do still shoot film are unfortunately slow to realize, the discussion isn't and never was about whether a given technology, method, or workflow has a place in contemporary photography.  No, this discussion is actually about how smart, sagacious, talented, inclusive, and outright visionary Mahmoud is; and his ditching of film photography is but one angle with which to demonstrate it.

Which is why I regret playing to script in (3) and swear I won't do it again.  Because I'm much more interested in talking about photographic technique and result than being the "straight man" for Mahmoud's performance in parts (2) and (4).

So sorry, Mahmoud Mousef.  You tha greatest!  The Academy loves you, they really love you!

Mira, out.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow