Return of Interesting article on DxO about 5D III and D800...

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,183Gear list
Like?
Re: resolution
In reply to MAC, Apr 14, 2013

MAC wrote:

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

schmegg wrote:

When you shoot with equivalent FL's, you do shoot from the same distance.

"Equivalent lenses" is a bit of an oxymoron when you think about it. I can't think of a single pair of 'equivalent' lenses that would be suitable for determining the resolving power of a sensor.

We are not talking about that, whatever that means. The question was why similar lenses perform better in the DXO tests on FF bodies - which they do. The explanation is - DXO measures basically medium contrast, and then FF wins due to less enlargement. The extinct resolution of the sensor plays very little role for that specific metric.

dxo is measuring sharpness, not resolution.

They measure the MTF curve. Then they convert it in some unknown way to their metric.

To do any kind of comparison across formats, one must keep the distance the same.

This is exactly what they do, say with 50mm on crop and 85mm on FF.

One needs a better optic, the farther away from the subject.

Who said anything about being farther away?

Let me repeat what I said:

BTW, the real test should be at equivalent FL and equivalent f-stops with common lenses.

Do you understand that with equivalent FL, the distance will be the same, or not?

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SameNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow