Mirrorless- Continuing to Under Perform

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 1,834
Like?
Re: The 'old man' theory
In reply to SuvoMitra, Apr 14, 2013

SuvoMitra wrote:

Visit tourist spots that attract large numbers of young Asians and you'll notice many more young women with DSLRs than you've ever before. Your 'old man' theory is showing its age already.

But if we are to believe the market share stats of mirrorless in Japan and elsewhere in Asia, Asia is one of the strongest markets, no?

What does that tell us? (again, if the figures are to be believed)

So in the not-too-distant future, what will the growth trends look like? If I were in management of a camera company, I'd be putting some eggs in the mirrorless basket for sure (as all of them are, basically). No major manufacturer has left mirrorless alone. It's only relatively recently where customers have been offered a choice of interchangeable lenses from the big players outside of Panasonic and Olympus, and the lens choices are growing.

So clearly the manufacturers making 'old man' big-bodied DSLRs are making their moves and the smaller sizes won't be ignored.

Fat 'old man' DSLRs behind glass in the camera store. That image is still with me.

Besides, older men who have started to find it difficult to carry DSLR outfits are a key market for mirrorless miniaturisation. It's not entirely coincidental that there's so much emphasis on retro styling in some mirrorless model lines. The baby boomers get what they want - strength in numbers.

Yep, certain cameras have a retro style which I dislike but credit for the camera manufacturers to effectively target those who are into that.

The trend will be smaller mirrorless though, and you make a good point about miniaturisation being a key market for them (and so many others, in my opinion). There are no doubts in my mind about the trend being smaller for most users. Mirorless is not 'there yet' in some performance areas where DSLR still shines (in my opinion), but I doubt it needs to be perfect for many.

We'll see.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YeahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow