OMD severe flash exposure problem

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,309Gear list
Like?
Re: OMD severe flash exposure problem
In reply to rrr_hhh, Apr 14, 2013

rrr_hhh wrote:

The only exception I know is when you are using face detection : when a face is detected the camera switch to spot metering and meter from the face. Using touch focus and shoot however won't tie both targets together either.

Hi Christiane,

As you might already be aware, this option (spot metering on the face when face priority is on) works only in one metering mode and the manual (at least the English version) is inconsistent about what that mode is. On p. 46, it says:

"In metering modes other than [(Digital ESP metering)], the camera will meter exposure for the selected position" (i.e., the position selected by face priority).

On p. 48, it instead says (about Digital ESP metering):

"The camera meters exposure in 324 areas of the frame and optimizes exposure for the current scene or (if an option other than [OFF] is selected for [Face Priority]) portrait subject. This mode is recommended for general use."

No similar mention of face priority is made here for the two other metering modes.

My guess is that the text on p. 48 is the correct one but since I never use face priority, I haven't bothered to check how it actually works.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow