New Lowepro bag - Photo Sport Pro 30L AW ?

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,456Gear list
Like?
Re: New Lowepro bag - Photo Sport Pro 30L AW ?
In reply to Sh4d0w, Apr 14, 2013

Sh4d0w wrote:

Yes, it works the same way like the 200AW here with the draw straps around the camera module. You could probably put some other stuff around it, but I'm not sure what you'd want to put there...

How tall is the bag? If you could list off the dimensional specifications from your product tag that would be great...even LowePro is behind here.  The 200AW is pretty short and not well-suited for a 14 mile hike well loaded, especially if you're taller. If this thing offers about 20-22 liters of personal space it would be about right.

13.0W x 9.4D x 19.3H

Precisely the same height as the 200AW - just 1.5" deeper and wider.  Implies that those load lifter straps won't be doing much for anyone taller than 5' 9".  A good 1.5" of that depth in the center of the bag, though, is taken up in the curve of the trampoline suspension. So most of that depth appears at the bottom.

The packing pillow that came in the top area is 14x12 if that helps.

So about 20-22L of useable space in the top, 8-12 L in the photo compartment. Not bad.

And looking at your pictures, it appears that the divider between the top and photo compartments wraps around the camera module and is sewn in at the very bottom...it looks like you can stick your hand between the shell of the bag and the divider and go all the way down.  If so, that's good...you can put light stuff in there if you need to.

How do you find the hipbelt?  More solid than the 200AW, or just as wimpy?

I haven't actually used the 200aw asides from a brief play in the store and I don't recall how it was. This one pretty light and not padded or anything like some heavier hiking bags, but its quite comfortable in my quick tests. The left one has a zipper compartment too.

It wouldn't be, but I notice more a more obvious perforated foam core in the hipbelt wings.  As compared to the two layers of thin fabric on the 200 AW.  That's an improvement.

This bag's major competitor is the Clik Elite Obscura, which also has a side access port but requires you to store your extra lenses in a pouch at the top (it's a panel opening bag), and it won't fit a pro body with grip.  So in terms of flexibility, this bag has it over the Obscura.  Fit wise, the Obscura is about 22" tall and an inch thinner (direct contact suspension), which means that the load lifters actually work and you can move weight higher up for longer distance hiking.

On the other hand, trampoline suspensions move loads away from your back, which is destabilizing. So the best place to put the heavier items in your pack is at either end of the trampoline...pretty much where the camera equipment and the water bladder go.  Then if you make sure you keep the outside of the pack filled with light stuff, it can work.

Final question...how much does it weigh? Specs are fine.  I'd guess 3.3 lbs.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow