Return of Interesting article on DxO about 5D III and D800...

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
Re: resolution
In reply to Just another Canon shooter, Apr 14, 2013

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

schmegg wrote:

When you shoot with equivalent FL's, you do shoot from the same distance.

"Equivalent lenses" is a bit of an oxymoron when you think about it. I can't think of a single pair of 'equivalent' lenses that would be suitable for determining the resolving power of a sensor.

We are not talking about that, whatever that means. The question was why similar lenses perform better in the DXO tests on FF bodies - which they do. The explanation is - DXO measures basically medium contrast, and then FF wins due to less enlargement. The extinct resolution of the sensor plays very little role for that specific metric.

it's fundamental essential to understand crop format and crop penalties in photography world.  For those denied there is ever crop penalty, I use a simple case that nobody should buy a bulky and super extensive 600mm lens to use on FF, those sport PJs or wildlife photogs should only need much lighter and cheaper 300mm/F4.0 lens on 2.0x crop, or even better a 30mm lens on 20x crop.  I know they are unable to answer this question

Anyway this thread now slipping into old epic 5D vs 7D debate that can continue last another 10 years, LOL.  Nevertheless thank you for your explanations and posts.  You're one of those really understand these tests and terms.  Personally I really don't care much terminology but only care what matter to my eyes in real world photos  To me, I know my 5D takes better photos in landscape, studio and portraiture while I love my 60D in zoo, safari and wildlife.  I own both cameras and have taken 35K and 25K photos from them respectively.  They complement each other very well.  Now 5D is sitting on my shelf in my museum of cameras (along Nikon N70) while 60D is still one of my active cameras

To all, let's return to OP - let's discuss what DXOMark Perceptual Sharpness really means to you in real world photography.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SameNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow