ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ned-B
Senior MemberPosts: 1,320Gear list
Like?
I've added a K-1000 & LX to my camera bag
Apr 14, 2013

K1000, original case and SMC-M f/1.7 50mm

It's been awhile since I posted here, but I thought my quest for some classic analog cameras and lenses might be of interest to some of you. A few months ago I decided to get back into shooting and processing black and white film (Tri-X). Originally I wanted to get an LX to use with my "three amigos" (FA 31, 43, 77) but there were none available in the condition I was looking for so I bought a very clean, hardly-used K-1000 pictured above.

As happens often, two weeks ago I came across an extremely pristine LX pictured below with one of the lenses that came with it.

Late model LX with SMC-A f/1.4 50mm

What made this camera pretty special is that it came with many of its original accessories including the leather case with dark purple felt lining, the purple felt pouch pictured below, the original leather shoulder strap that's never been used, two focusing screens etc. Even more rare, almost all items are in their original Pentax packaging.

LX with some of the original accessories that came with camera.

As you'd expect with a camera this well cared for, the lenses that came with the LX were also incredibly pristine. While I was primarily interested in the two SMC-A 28 and 50mm lenses, I was happy to also get mint copies of the original Pancake lens and a like new T6-2X in its original leather case.

SMC-A f/1.4 50mm, SMC-A f/2.8 28mm, SMC-M f/2.8 40mm Pancake, Rear Converter K T6-2X

I have not yet had a chance to shoot with the LX. Even though the mirror checks out fine (no sticking) I'm still going to have it CLA'd to make sure shutter speeds etc are all in working order.

In the meantime, I wanted to experiment with the SMC-A f/1.4 50mm as it enjoys such a wonderful reputation. As we had the annual SoCal Woodie Car Show this weekend in Dana Point CA, I took this lens and my K-30 to capture a few hundred images of all the old wooden cars that show up at this event. Here are a few photos using this lens.

As I hope theses photos suggest, the SMC-A 50mm worked beautifully with my K-30. Since it's an A series lens, my apertures worked fine. Manual focus was extremely smooth...it has just the right amount of resistance when micro-adjusting your focus point which is clearly important when shooting  the details on these old cars.

I'm definitely going to keep using this 50 with my digital gear as it has that wonderful classic color, contrast and rendering of early Pentax glass and it will be a great companion to my FA Limiteds. And of course, I can't wait to see how it works with my LX and silver halide.

Cheers,

Ned

Ned-B's gear list:Ned-B's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow