**Weekly X Series Photo Thread 13th April, 2013**

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: More 18th Century PA/German Stuff
In reply to Tom Schum, Apr 14, 2013

Tom Schum wrote:

Did you selectively blur parts of this image?  If so, it is a very good effect.
-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom:

What I do on some pics in CS5 is finish PP'ing the pic as I would normally, then make a new layer on top of the background layer and apply Gaussian blur to that layer.  Then by playing around with the amoubt of blur, the blending mode (especially), the opacity and selectively erasing areas of the layer that lie above part of the image you do not want affected by this, you can get a great variety of effects, from very subtle to extreme - all 100% controllable.

This technique has an official name after the person who "invented" it, which escapes me at the moment- maybe someone here will come up with it.  It is used in pics #1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 above.

My primary interest is upland photography, just for fun and as an important part of my little upland guiding "business" (the dogs do all the work).  The technique is useful in that milieu - not so much for the action shots, but helpful to add interest to the mind-numbingly boring hero pics and dead bird pics that everyone seems to want to memorialize their day afield.  Here are a few examples - the first is an action shot - my youngest dog, Chase, making one of the last retreives of the year:

A "hero shot" of a happy guiding client with his harvest:

A pheasant "still life" (Leica pic, not X-Pro 1):

I sometimes play around with the technique in the off-season, too, as in my original post above.  The technique does not appeal to everyone, but it is fun.  Give it a whack - it's not hard and there's nothing to lose.

Regards,

Greg

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
x10New
EyeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow