D7100 substantially better AF than D7000??

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,396
Like?
side by side
In reply to Gene Goodman, Apr 14, 2013

Gene Goodman wrote:

Hi D7100 usersl;

Generally a happy D7000 owner (2 1/3 years coming from a D80).  My main problem is AF consistency.  I find that focus is spot on, then not.  I fine tune and come up with one value,  then then a week later its a different value,  example from 0 to -6,  or -8 to -14.  Then after fine tuning, I do a portrait focused on 1 eye, and it back focuses!!  Of course this is not ALL the time, and many shots are very accurate, then not??

This should not be the case. What method did you use to determine your AF-Fine tune value? Other things that can affect the result are light temp if using certain lenses. What AF mode and AF-Area mode do you most often use?

For fine tuning I have kept light (and color of light) consistent.

What target and what method?

If a D7100 would be substantially better in AF consistency, then I would upgrade.  I do not need high buffer speed or frame rates, an not concerned that shadows may have streaking/banding/noise, or that I will not get an ISO lift.

Most are finding it very good with focus...but I also find my D7K very good and very consistent as well. I suspect the D7100 to be a bit better but not blow the doors off better. I tested both side by side this week and found the D7100 better when the light gets dimmer than the D7K can lock in. D7100 seemed able to track slightly more accurate in AF-Area mode 3D as well. In Normal and low light...my copy was as accurate/consistent as the D7100 I was using but I only compared in 9pt, single, and AF-ON. The D7100 I test seemed a fine sample. I would certainly recommend that body.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SameNew
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow