GPS tagging in China

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dave_CA
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
Re: GPS tagging in China
In reply to wilsonlaidlaw, Apr 14, 2013

A few posts accurately represented what happens because they physically observed it instead of all the other posts that were assumptions or just political BS talk.  I go there every few months and have for the last 10 years.  GPS works fine there and it has nothing to do with any hi-tech GPS scrambling.  Your phone or camera does record the proper GPS coordinates so that data is accurate.

The mapping software "you select to use" may or may not place you in exactly the right position on "their displayed map".  That does have to do with an influence from PRC to the map providers "outside china" like Google or Apple.  When Goetagging my photos I often would say that isn't where I was walking during that series of pictures and then on the map I would quickly see the park or lake or whatever I was walking around was about 200 Yds up and over on the map.  Simple fix, it is just a linear offset for that map but remember, the GPS coordinates are accurate, its the Map that is offset.  Other maps work fine.

I was pleased to see that the Mapping function in Lightroom 4 is recording the locations properly on the overlay map so no tinkering with the offset is needed to review my favorite sightseeing locations.

Dave

Dave_CA's gear list:Dave_CA's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow