Started Apr 10, 2013 | Questions thread
nkistrup
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094Gear list
Like?
Re: Tripod research is testing my sanity, advice please
In reply to Kuppenbender, Apr 14, 2013

Kuppenbender wrote:

BackroadsTraveler wrote:

Perhaps I wasn't asking the correct question. But RSS makes the point several times on their site that much of their equipment is intended to work only with other RSS products. Maybe a marketing ploy, but it scared me away!

Probably part marketing ploy and part covering their backs in case of unhappy customers.

Here's a detailed chart of compatibility issues with Arca-Swiss style plates and clamps. As they point out, Arca-Swiss is more of a 'style' than a regulated and fixed 'standard', so there will be some compatibility issues between brands:

www.afximages.com

I think the main issue with RRS stuff is that while RRS clamps fit other makes of ballheads, RRS ballheads only accept RRS clamps.

Other than that, apart from FLM stuff, RRS plates and clamps appear to be fairly interchangeable.

Thanks Kuppenbender,

Getting ready to upgrade the heads on my monopod & tripod, and was concerned about which company's A-S compatible parts actually play nice with others.  Big relief, because even if I could exchange an item, critical time could be lost.

Niels

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow