Return of Interesting article on DxO about 5D III and D800...

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,055
Like?
unfortunately...
In reply to qianp2k, Apr 14, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

From DPR's 5D and 7D reviews - horisontal/vertical resolution (extinction resolution) :

5D - 2300/2000 (2500/2500) LPH

7D - 2500/2450 (3100/3050) LPH

I am not sure how DPR calculated into above data?  From the same AOV?  Using the same lens? Under that MTF percentage? 5D is 8-yr-old and DPR Lab has changed its test environment between when they reviewed 5D and 7D.  I wish DPR can add some old cameras such as 5D into new standard lab samples

Like I said, then I think that DPR uses the EF 85/1.8 on Canon FF and the 50/1.4 on Canon APS-C. The studio scene has changed since the 5D review, but think that the same resolution test chart was used for 5D and 7D. The AoV (or rather the framing) was of course the same, and they 'calculated' (or rather 'estimated') the resolution figures by simply looking at the testshots (at least 100% view on the monitor, I suppose). You can take a look at the resolution test shots yourself. They are available for download (Page 31 in the 5D review and page 28-29 in the 7D review).

Sure.  I downloaded both JPEG (if original RAWs are available?), and then compare them side by side.  Honestly my eyes don't see much difference except 7D one is bigger and darker.  As I said we need to compare them side by side at the same size either by upsampling 5D to 7D file szie or downamping 7D file to 5D size otherwise different sizes will cause delusion.   Here is one of snapshots comparing them side by side at their respective full size, and I don't see much difference.  My eyes can count same numbers of lines or cannot count the same fine details that unable to figure out

Well, you'll have to look at the finer lines where the difference will be rather clear (see for example around '24', which represents 2400 LPH).

I am sorry but that not clear to me.

...never a more accurate and descriptive statement has been written. If you can't understand or see the difference at 2400 LPH in the examples...then the rest may be just out of reach. Are you viewing on a very low resolution monitor? That may be part of the issue or barrier to understanding. I wish real high quality CRT's would make a comeback.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SameNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow