Is FF sensors going to slowly phase out?

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,983Gear list
Like?
Re: Nope, it's rather the opposite.
In reply to Bart Hickman, Apr 14, 2013

Bart Hickman wrote:

Grevture wrote:

Bart Hickman wrote:

Grevture wrote:

If you are talking about closing the gap in terms of performance, no: a FF sensor will remain 2.25 times larger then a APS-C one, and when using the same technology in both, the larger surface have some advantages (like when looking at D7000 and D800 which have very similar sensor technology).

I'm not talking about closing the absolute gap in dynamic range.  I'm talking about the whole product experience.  I guess AF speed and tracking are the main deficits those products have right now.

Huh? Which products are mainly held back by AF speed and accuracy? APS-C or FF cameras?

Mirrorless cameras still don't measure up to DSLRs in terms of focus speed and battery life.  DSLR's enjoy a big advantage gap which I believe is much more significant than the difference in sensor performance.  But I think that gap will also narrow or become irrelevant eventually.

Aha, I thought we were comparing APS-C and FF cameras of the same type

But indeed, mirrorless models have mostly been slower to focus, but there it is actually those with larger sensors that tend to have less AF performance.

Actually, I guess the N1 system is already there in good light.  I'm sure the others will catch up.

In decent light they compare favorably to for example Sonys SLT models, and most similarly priced DSLR:s. For significantly better AF (in decent light) you will need to get a DSLR with a advanced AF system.

In low light their performance drops, but still manage to stay ahead of the mirrorless competition.

And even when they do shrink the size, they'll differentiate the lens from the more expensive FF version by crippling AF speed.

That part I do not get at all - which lenses focuses slower because they are limited to APS-C? Some cheap lenses focuses slower then more expensive counterparts, but that has nothing to do with sensor size.

The Nikkor 55-300 is, by all accounts, very slow at focusing whereas the 70-300 is much faster.  Actually, Nikon's APS-C kit zooms all seem to focus relatively slowly IMO.  Whereas the FF lenses are very, very fast in spite of the fact they must move larger mechanical elements.  I assume this is an intentional differentiator.

Again, it is more a price point difference (you compare $400 lens to a $600 lens) with cheaper focus motors, not really a factor of the sensor size. The (very few) more pro grade DX lenses Nikon makes focuses very fast - like their AF-S 17-55/2.8.

Canon doesn't do this quite as much--their cheaper kit lenses seem pretty fast.

Generally speaking, fast AF has been a top priority for Canon ever since the Eos system was first introduced 30 years ago so I guess they can have slightly different priorities also for entry level lenses.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow