Feedback requested. Warning: pictures of kids.

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,832Gear list
Like?
Feedback requested.......
In reply to Wafflebird, Apr 14, 2013

Wafflebird wrote:

Joe,

What you have here are pictures that you and your children will be able to look back on with many fond memories. If you, like me, move from one home to another these pictures will serve the girls in helping them remember the "Old house" and if not it will still help them remember when.

It is disappointing here when people only want to be critical and want to look at pictures from a clinical perspective. Some of the "imperfect techniques" end up being some of the best pictures. While technical photography is indeed occupying a certain niche of photography I think it lunacy to think that the snapshots (which we all love for capturing that special family moment) should be held to some technical specifications such as rule of thirds (OMG) etc.

Well, if you are just going to take "snapshots" why bother buying a $1,400.00 camera?

Why not get a $99.00 camera and put the other $1,300.00 in the girl's College Fund?

Oh wait let me change my focus point to get the rule of thirds before she……………………. Oh she already blew out the candles, man missed it………..

Even marginally competent photographers learn how to apply the Rules of Composition as second nature, without having to think about them.

That is the entire purpose behind, "focus and recompose" that you have heard about.

Why shouldn't even "snap shots" look good?

Wouldn't those photographs, "that you and your children will be able to look back on with many fond memories" be even fonder if the shot was properly composed-or composed at all?

It doesn't cost any more to take a well composed snap shot as it does to take a well composed snapshot.

Ask yourself a question, look at that picture # 4 and tell me how you will feel about looking at it 15 years from now in a nice frame on your wall, wall unit etc, how your girl will feel about that picture.

Wouldn't she feel better about it if some effort had gone into composing it?

Maybe she would have thought, "gee-see how much my Daddy loved us-he actually made the effort to properly compose the photo!".

It is a winner regardless of what any of us here think, it is quite simply brilliant, end of story.

It isn't "brilliant".

It is a lazy photo.

My son still looks at many pictures (from a crappy Sony 8 megapixel camera) from when he was around the same age from the bathtub and his mom and her "Hand monster" getting him. These are the best kind of pictures in my opinion for family. And oh my God he is in THE CENTER of the picture, how could I,…………………………………………….. oh wait that picture is perfect. Nuff said.

I think something more can be said.

Even with a Super 8 camera it is possible with some effort to make a story line, use some scene que cards and do some editing so that it is appearent to those looking at it years later that you actually gave a damn.

Just keep in mind that when you ask for "Feedback" you will open yourself up to some who can be over jealous in "Sharing" their less than courteous feedback.

Jealous?

Roelf is Jealous?

Reall?

But just as the sun rises each day it would unfortunately appear that certain folks will act in a very predictable fashion. There have been many comments that have been positive in this forum but there are many unnecessarily harsh as well.

Who is to jusdge what is "unnecesarily" harsh or gentle?

You?

I think the OP deserves to be treated like an adult.

He asked for feedback and he got it.

Why do you have a problem with that?

Can't he decide for himself what he wants to pay attention to and what he wants to dismiss?

Or do you have to do it for him?

Some here lack perspective and decency, but it is an internet forum after all, so this activity is expected and has been here for some time and will be in the future.

This should NEVER discourage you from taking pictures, at this point is is simply hard drive space.

No one discouraged him from doing anything.

We simply gave him our oppinion as he asked us to.

Keep taking great pictures and enjoy your family, they are what matters. You will get plenty of constructive feedback as well from others as you continue. So are your pictures TECHNICALLY perfect, well one, has weighed in, as for me they are A+ for what I think you are going for.

What was not "construtive" about the feedback.

Did it not have sufficient particularity to be usefull?

Thanks for sharing.

Remember if you do not take the pictures you will not have them.

Well, that is one point of view.

I guess the OP could just put his camera on a tripod pointed at the breakfast table and set it to take random  photographs.

Would that be a good idea?

-- hide signature --

My saying on pictures;
"If you don't take them you won't have them"

A high standard indeed!

TEdolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow