yray
Contributing MemberPosts: 923
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan's assessment of a D400
In reply to n057, Apr 14, 2013

n057 wrote:

nikkorwatcher wrote:

yray wrote:

Support issues maybe... But they got the basics right, IMO.

My lack of confidence in NX2 is one of the things that sets me against upgrading my computer. Since the software is so old, I am not convinced it uses any of the more recent instruction set additions that would speed it up. It seems to rely heavily on dotnet library updates for any improvements. I ran a batch through NX2 on a quad core and it was only doing 6 per minute. This might not sound bad until you find I had thousands to do. This is not a very modern performance standard. I might have to switch to Adobe in the end.

Corel's Aftershot Pro is a good alternative. In reviews, it rates the closest to NX2 in terms of NEF color accuracy, ahead of Adobe. Its only drawback is that is is not from a leading vendor.

I cannot do a direct comparison myself because I run Linux by choice and Adobe does not deign make a Linux version, but AfterShot is available on any platform at a hard to beat price. And you can download a trial version.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

Interesting suggestion, I'll be very curious to try Aftershot Pro, even though my brief experience with Corel in the past had not been stellar.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow