Feedback requested. Warning: pictures of kids.

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,377Gear list
Like?
Re: Warning: critic was lazy......
In reply to LincolnB, Apr 14, 2013

LincolnB wrote:

Pikme wrote:

tedolf wrote:

No. 1:   Feet are chopped off and out of focus.

No. 2:   Table, chair are chopped off-no appearent effort at composition of drawings on wall.

No. 3:   Child in back is out of focus.

No. 4:   Wings are cut off and feet are out of focus.

No. 5:   Adult is chopped in half.

No. 6:  Now this one could be a good photo if you would frame it to eliminate the power lines.  Can be done in PP so this one is salvagable.

These photo's demonstate either a complete lack of understanding of composition or laziness on the photographer's part.

In either case, there is no point in owning a $1,400.00 camera if this is the level of effort you are going to put into your photography.

Other than the out of focus parts of the photo's, you  may as well have a point-n-shoot camera.

TEdolph\

Tedolph,

I think you know the 'rules' of photography perhaps, but you also miss the point sometimes of photography.  Your comments remind me of those posts where people put up famous photos from well known master photographers (without names) and then the photos are ripped to shreds by people quoting all the places where the 'rules' were not followed.

See http://petapixel.com/2011/07/13/why-you-shouldnt-give-too-much-weight-to-anonymous-online-critics/

or  http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2006/06/great-photographers-on-internet.html

or http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/11/great-photographers-on-the-internet-part-ii.html

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the adult being chopped in half in #5 or the feet chopped off/OOF in #1. Or that the wings are cut off in #4 or feet OOF -- who cares about the feet??

OMG, for years and years these forums insisted that ALL photos must have zero DOF, now suddenly the forums are insisting that ALL photos have 100% DOF??

There aren't 'rules' for photography; but there are effects - the only reason to learn the 'rules' is to understand the effects.  Then use the effects to get the results you want, rather than blindly follow some list of 'rules'.

Having said all that, I don't actually like the first 5 photos personally because I don't like the processing and some are too blurry for me.  But photo #6 - when viewed in the larger size - I LOVE that one and I wouldn't ever dream of removing the power lines.  I think it is framed perfectly and love the processing.

Generally I agree. While the composition of these shots are often either uninspired or simply not interesting, I'm not sure tedolf has correctly figured out why.

I might have to agree with you.

But, I had to come up with something!

The subjects are okay if you like that sort of thing but the arrangement of elements within the frame is haphazard. #5 has the most potential for me and I'm perfectly okay with the adult being chopped off in half.

You can make a case for that.

I wish that car wasn't in the background, however, as it add nothing to the 'story'.

exactly.

My point was that I don't think that the OP paid any attention to composition at all.

It is as you say, "random".

It also might have been a cooler shot if taken from a lower angle. Removing power lines from in front of an older house? That would probably end up looking wierd, like an 80 year-old man with black hair. Since the OP's style is more documentary than art, it would probably be counterproductive as well.

Yes, but there are too many of them.

How about just including the lower power lines?

Anyway, the PP on this shot was very nice.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow