Started Apr 10, 2013 | Questions thread
BackroadsTraveler
Regular MemberPosts: 427Gear list
Like?
Re: Tripod research is testing my sanity, advice please
In reply to Framer, Apr 14, 2013

Framer wrote:

BackroadsTraveler wrote:

The suggestion I want to make here is that you select heads and tripods which allow you to standardize your quick release system. For instance, I think RSS stuff is not easily interchanged with any other system, so if you go that route, count on spending enough money to have all matching heads and brackets of the same brand.

Just to clarify, there is no problem with RRS stuff with respect to interchangeability. I use Kirk (L-plates), Acratech (ballheads), Gitzo (tripods) and Really Right Stuff (pano equipment, clamps, brackets) etc... It all plays well with each other, no compatibility issues at all.

You are obviously more experienced than I, since I have never used Acratech or Gitzo equipment. I recently researched several manufacturers with the intent of 'standardizing' some of my equipment. As highly regarded as RSS is, I was turned away from going that direction because of quotes like this from the RSS website:

Only Really Right Stuff, Wimberley, and Kirk (manufactured within the last year) will be compatible with our lever-release clamps. However all Arca-Swiss style plates work with our scew-release clamps. "To ensure compatibility with lever-release clamps, we offer $22.50 trade-in discount towards a purchase of a Really Right Stuff quick-release plate if you use a plate from Kirk, Foba, Markins, Arcatech, Novoflex, or Arca-Swiss. Plate exchange only for identical model; you must send your plate at time of exchange to qualify for this discount." (see page 31 of the Really Right Stuff catalog for more details).

Perhaps I wasn't asking the correct question. But RSS makes the point several times on their site that much of their equipment is intended to work only with other RSS products. Maybe a marketing ploy, but it scared me away!

-- hide signature --

BRT

BackroadsTraveler's gear list:BackroadsTraveler's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow