Why are so many photographers going out of business?

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
MindInRewind
Contributing MemberPosts: 601
Like?
Re: perefect storm
In reply to PenguinPhotoCo, Apr 14, 2013

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

many things have come together to 'kill' professional photography as it once was

How pics are made - the gear changed. Costs dropped to learn, interenet spread knowledge and feedback, AF and AE took the guesswork out.

How pics are shared - used to be you'd get prints made. there was no other option (ok, maybe slides). Digital and the internet changed that - you can share pics at no cost via FB.

It's now special anymore - today everyone has a phone in their hand and a camera in that phone. My 9 year old made a video on a car ride yesterday 100% on her ipod. Editing, titles - the whole deal. How special is the experience of being photographed? When you do it in the bathroom mirror, the mall food court - sorry, not that special. People don't value so don't pay a premium for 'common' - as in commodities.

The economy - people feel the need to cut back spending and a need to make money. People have loved photography for a long time but to 'be a photographer' was difficult and expensive - that barrier is gone now.

I was hoping things would get better but indications are that things are getting even worse. more and even MORE photographer wanna bes out there.

Yet the local pro org is near to folding - fewer full timers with time to devote to running it and attendance and membership is dropping and dropping rapidly. There isn't the sense of 'community' in the industry there once was, well, an 'in person' community. Lots of online interaction like here.

-- hide signature --

Vision without execution is hallucination. T. Edison.
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value

Everyone is a photographer!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow