OMD severe flash exposure problem

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,443Gear list
Like?
One pretty clear cut example... (imgs)
In reply to photofan1986, Apr 14, 2013

The following two images were taken with my E-M5 and FL-600R. For consistency, both images were shot in Manual Exposure Mode, ISO 200, 1/200 Sec @ f/4 using the Oly 45mm -- and both were taken in Spot Metering Mode. No processing has been done to these, other than resizing for the web.

I shot in Manual Exposure Mode to negate any ambient metering effects caused by the introduction of the white foam-core into the second image.

If, as a number here insist, the camera metering pattern controls the flash metering, then there should be no change in the flash exposure since Spot Metering should be metering nothing but the center 2% angle -- As you can see that is not the case.

The OP is clearly not a Canon 'fanboy' as someone has suggested, but is trying simply to understand why the Olympus flash metering functions as it does, and perhaps how to most effectively control it.

I know that the flash metering behaves exactly as these images demonstrate, because I deal with this issue constantly when shooting events, and I have tested it a number of times. Once again, it is not a deal breaker for me, but it is a reality.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow