Thom Hogan's assessment of a D400

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bill Dewey
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,521
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan's assessment of a D400
In reply to krikman, Apr 14, 2013

I am not quoting your post because I don't want to clutter up my reply.

I totally disagree with your comments regarding both the D600 and the D800.  My 2 D300's were purchased the day they arrived in Seattle, when they first shipped.  I shot well over 130,000 images with those 2 cameras.  Last year I replaced one with the D800.  D800 acquires focus far faster, holds focus much better and there is simply no comparison at High-ISO.  ISO 6400 just amazes me.

This past Christmas I took a leap and bought a D600, could not pass up the price, fully expecting the AF to not be up-to-snuff.  Once again, I was surprised enough that I sold my second D300.

I do miss the 8fps at times, but frankly I can acquire focus so much faster and now don't see OOF shots in mid-sequence very often at all, something that is not uncommon with the D300.  Thom Hogan has written on this as well.

That being said, and I have noted this in other threads, are the D600 or the D800 "replacements" for the D300/D300s?  Nope, I don't think so.  Nor is the D7100.  The D800 in DX mode gives me just over 15mp, the D600 in DX mode just over 10, suitable for sure, but you lose the "magnification" in the VF.  The D7100 takes care of this, and the new 1.3 crop is quite cool.

I am hoping that the D400 basically delivers a D7100 in a D800 style body, that will be a camera I would buy, either as a 3rd body or to replace the D600.  If not a D7100 will probably be added as a 3rd body later this year.

I would suggest that anyone looking to performance of the D800/D600 talk to folks who actually use them, as well as the sites such as DXO, for real-world information.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.deweydrive.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow